Monday, June 27, 2011

The Books of My Childhood

By Kay Green (excerpt from her memoirs)

I have been a reader ever since my early childhood. Plus, my mother read aloud often. I have felt sorry that many of the so-called "series" books have disappeared from current usage. I know that many of today's children's books stir the imagination.

My childhood favorites often taught history or geography or good moral values. Of course, Elsie Dinsmore was a stupidly moral tale which I could not stand.

One of the earliest ones I remember was Honey Bunch, Her First Trip on the Great Lakes (geography, even though the book wasn't too marvelous, I learned all about the five lakes).

Then there were the Twin books. I still have a copy of The Dutch Twins somewhere. The Belgian Twins depicted a child's view of some of the effects of World War I on the village where they lived.

Then we pick up some of the little maid books: The Little Maid of Old New York, Old Ft.The Little Maid of  Ticonderoga, and The Little Maid of Old Boston, give pictures of a child's view of events in the American revolution.

One of my favorites was The Little Colonel's House Party, which tells the story of a young girl's invitations to three friends to come for a month's visit in the home of the Little Colonel in Kentucky. The girls represent wealth, poverty but goodness, and a middle class artistic young lady from Kansas.

This story has some good sound moral values involved. One I remember was where Elizabeth had promised her godmother that she would mail a letter that must get on the evening train. They were all going to a picnic where games and fun were to be a part of the evening.

In the midst of the fun, Elizabeth remembers the letter in her pocket she had promised to mail. Slipping away quietly, she climbed on her horse to ride to the railroad station in the dark of night fearful of any who might accost her. The train whistled in the distance as she arrived at the station. The postmistress unlocked the mail bag and accepted the letter. Here was a clear example of a promise that must be kept.

Some other favorites were Heidi and A Little Princess. The latter tells the story of a child of a wealthy family whose mother is dead and whose father was somewhere in India. Her father had placed her in a private school where she was welcomed by Miss Minchen. When her father had apparently died, and her fortune was lost, all her luxuries were gone and she was reduced to the role of scullery maid and given a room in the attic.

My mom read aloud books like The Swiss Family Robinson and Robinson Crusoe. As I grew older, I read Louisa May Alcott's books, Little Women, Little Men, Jo's Boys, and Rose in Bloom, all of which depicted life in a different time and place.

I know that today's children would not be willing to read them, but I have done so several times, picturing in my mind the houses and scenes where they could have taken place. They have enriched my life so much and have reinforced my personal values a great deal. That's the viewpoint of a woman who has lived 87 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment