Thursday, August 18, 2011

No Mashed Potatoes for Lunch
by Willa Jones

Upon reading the menu
For the week of May 10th
I found disappointingly
I must go the whole length
With no mashed potatoes.

There are red potatoes, no potatoes, oven browned,
Seasoned, boiled, baked and sweet potatoes,
But there are no mashed potatoes.

Woe is me! What to do!
Go to Hy-Vee and buy a bag
Of unwashed, unpeeled, uncooked potatoes?
And a box of dill dip to stir in.
To make my own mashed potatoes?

But then, I'll miss out on
The meat loaf, the fish, Swiss steak, chicken,
Pork chops, soups, salads, desserts.
Not to mention all the table talk
With friends old and new.

Woe is me! What shall I do?
Go with the variety
Or mash up a few?
Make all the mess
Wash mash and pan
And eat just potatoes
Again and again?

I guess I've decided
To go with variety.
It may turn out to be nice.
Maybe next week they'll serve mashed twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment